Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Forgotten Memories and Mumbles
















Wednesday, May 30th
I have been cleaning and mopping to prepare for Craig and the rest of our group, its a good workout. I blog in between. I am looking forward to seeing them, we pick them up in an hour and are going to eat at Pepe's. Craig is an inspiring scientist and a brilliant team leader, so I'm sure we will work hard and learn a lot while he's here. I was told that because the grand opening for the new labs is this year, the place will be jam packed, and that there is barely going to be enough room for all the people. I don't mind, but damn it if anyone is going to get in the way between me and my chow! Hehe. My waterbottle has smelled like whale ever since I ate it. I've washed it once, but the oil gets everywhere. The lab smelled for a few hours.

My camera battery is slain and no longer charges :( I have a plan, though; I will buy a new elph digital that is small and easy to carry, along with a new battery for the bigger camera. Perry's precious Nicole (his laptop) gave him a critical error and he had to trouble shoot it. The IT guys here seem to have taken to him, and he is now one the the computer geek clan. On the upside, I am enjoying myself no matter what. This experience is awesome! I have been listening to my iPod and all the music Michi gave me a lot. It keeps me in good spirits, along with the people I am up here with.

I forgot to add some of the things we did on my blog previously, but since I am a little sleep deprived and don't usually know what time it is, I have forgotten what day and when we all did them. Anyway, before I forget even more I will post it!

Hmm...let's see...we went out to the field site on the "Cake Eater" road. There was nothing but white. We did see a couple of locals on their dog sled, but other than that it's just white. I felt like Neo in the Matrix. It's hard to get your berings in that environment, so I have been looking at a lot of maps to memorize where I'll be just in case. Santonu and Dave told me that in a few weeks I won't even recognize the place. The ice melts quickly and a new landscape slowly emerges to reveal itself. Dave is crazy! He went out with no jacket and in his chanclas (sorry for mispelling the slang guys!). The wind cuts into you out here. I will need to make sure I wear enough layers beneath my clothes. My jacket is awesome though THANK YOU GORE TEX.

I am look forward to working in the field, but more importantly to learning more and practicing the science. I'm sure I will have a greater appreciation for experimental design and field work. I have been messing around on the ukelele a bit, but overall I haven't spent much time on it. I will have to find more information on it too. I have been drawing a bit, but I usually do that on my own when no one is around so I don't have to show my work. I wish I had brought some literature to read, like some poetry, stories and my plant physiology book. I want to learn more about this area and hopefully I can develop my own project out here. I am surrounded by some brilliant minds I would love to pick, including the ones I work with.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Where's your hat & gloves? Great to see you online!

Unknown said...

Amorita - how about a picture of you with your chanclas on outside? Love, Margaret

Anonymous said...

You look so HAPPY!!!! I love it. I look forward to your blog everyday. You are on top of the world. Well at least North America;) We are so proud of you. Love ya much future biologist.
P.A.

Sandra said...

Hi Amorita,

I'm happy to hear that you and Perry are doing well. Don't worry about using big words. I know you esmart!! But I'll stick to 2 syllables words when writing...hehehe

Miss you guys

Anonymous said...

Awesome Amorita your blog is very interesting and informative I look forward to reading updates. I've been climbing twice now with no ill effects. I'm taking it really slow. Sandy is "officially" my girlfirend now anyway things are great down here. Stay safe and warm!

Anonymous said...

heya prancingfawn.blogspot.com owner discovered your website via search engine but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my site. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com