Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tuesday

I am still quite tired. My colleages and I went to the gym at about 9:30 pm. The facilities here are very nice, there's a large variety of activities there including weights, ping pong, billiards, air hockey, basketball, and so on. My favorite, though is a wooden board with holes drilled into it. There are two wooden pegs that you can take out and put into the many holes on the board. Its a great arm workout, I just let my feet hang and climb it moving the pegs with my arms. There is also a little area where I can practice campusing (no legs-just arms). I hope I don't lose my climbing muscles while I'm here. There was so much to do that we all tried a little bit of everything, like a bunch of 3 year olds with no attention span.

Two hours and 3 ping pong games later we headed back to the hotel for some much needed rest. However, after my shower and some light reading it was already 1:15am, and I had to wake up and be in the lab by 9:00. Breakfast is served from 6:30 - 8:15am, and if you don't make it you don't eat (not that I'll starve or anything).

I am still adjusting to the constant daylight here. My body doesn't know what time it is, so even after the gym at 11:30 pm, it felt like mid morning here. You can just keep going and going. I have noticed the impacts, though. I've had trouble thinking of words and perfoming my best. I have set my watch to go off every day at 7am, 2pm, and 9pm so that I know what time of day it is. I have to force myself to go lay down and go to sleep.

Today we continued to mold the lab into a workable area and unpack equipment. We took an inventory and made a list of things that Craig has to bring up, which is a lot. We are all working to get everything ready before he gets here. I hear that the day after he arrives we will take the snow machines out to the field site and do some work. We are going to clean some stuff up and dig a lot of holes in the ground, I do not yet know why, but am intrigued. The snow and ice continue to melt and break at a rapid rate. I hope we are able to take the snow machines out before its all gone and the ice is too thin. Everyone in the lab will be working hard from here on out, so I am looking forward to that.

I made the calendar for the lab, and it seems we will be partying quite a bit, Adrian, Dave, me and Perry will all have our birthdays up here in Barrow. It will be nice to be out of the 100 degree heat of El Paso summers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes over te excitement I feel for you! There's no one better to be absorbing every bit of this experience and I'm looking forward to cooling off by reading your updates, regularly...I love you and am so proud of you!